- 4 chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thickness
- 1 tablespoon mediterranean seasoning (you can substitute Italian seasoning in a pinch)
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 pitas (this is a Greek-style flatbread you can find at almost any grocery store near the bread and tortillas or in the bakery)
- optional: lettuce, feta cheese crumbles
- ½ English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cold plain Greek yogurt
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- ⅓ cup chopped dill, fresh or frozen (may sub 2 tablespoons dried dill)
- 1½ Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice of ½ medium lemon)
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
I use Trader Joes’ Tzatziki Creamy Garlic Cucumber Dip instead of making my own and it’s SO GOOD.
- Puree all sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor (see note below recipe first!). Cover and chill until ready to serve. (If you have time, make this a few hours in advance or the night before so that the flavors can marinate)
- Season chicken breasts with mediterranean seasoning. Cook in a large skillet or pan over medium heat 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through. Cut into strips.
- Lay pitas on a clean surface. Add lettuce (if desired, chicken, red pepper strips, and onions. Top with tzatziki sauce and feta (if desired). Fold pita over like a sandwich, or roll it into a “tunnel shape”.
for the meatballs:
- 2 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
for the sauce:
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- 3 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together turkey, breadcrumbs, eggs, green onions, garlic powder and salt/pepper until well combined. Shape mixture into 1½-inch balls (you’ll make roughly 40 balls) and place spaced apart on prepared baking sheets lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake meatballs for 20 to 25 minutes, or until browned and cooked through.
- While the meatballs are baking, combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking continuously. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes (the sauce will start to thicken) then toss with the meatballs.
- Serve immediately over brown rice and top with green onions and a few sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and ginger.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in soy sauce mixture and green onions until well combined, allowing to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with green onion and sesame seeds, if desired.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lbs extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup onions, diced
- ½ cup yellow pepper, diced
- 1 ½ cups sweet potato, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of red chili flakes
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley for garnishing
- In an iron cast skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add ground turkey and garlic. Use a wood spoon breaking up the turkey while it cooks. Stir occasionally and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add onions and yellow peppers and cook until onions are soft.
- Add the sweet potato, chili pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the skillet and cook until they are tender. Don’t forget to stir occasionally. If necessary, add more olive oil or a little bit of water to cook the sweet potato faster.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- When the sweet potato is tender, add shredded mozzarella cheese and bring the skillet to the oven to melt the cheese
- When the cheese melts, remove from the oven, and garnish with parsley.